The name of Stretton is derived from the fact that a Roman road passed through Stretton to Wilderspool and it means tun on the 'stret' or the road. Like Appleton, Stretton also had a Thorn tree and underneath it there were the village stocks
Stretton Church was built on the site of an old chapel of ease in 1827 and was restored in 1870.
In 1870-72 John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stretton like this:
Stretton, a township and a chapelry in Great Budworth Parish, Cheshire. The township lies 3and 1/2 miles S by E of Warrington r. station. Acres 1,118. Real property, £3,420. Pop., 373 Houses, 70. The manor belongs to N.D.Milner,Esq.- The chapelry was constitued in 1833; and it has a Post Office under Warrington. Pop 833. House159. The living is a perpetual curacy in the Diocese of Chester. Value £180. Patron T.H Lyon,Esq. The present Church was built in 1827
Stretton Hall was the home of the Starkey Family from Henry II's reign until the 18th century. The building is of Elizabethan structure and was described in an auction at 1844 as " an excellent country resident for a gentleman however good his position"
RNAS Stretton was originally planned as a Royal Air Force night fighter station to protect Liverpool and Manchester from Luftwaffe air raids during World War 11. However changes in German tactics meant the airfield was not required so it was transferred to the Admiralty on completion. Three runways and numerous hangers had been built
Take a look at a website created by a local resident Clare Olver for more information click on the attached link :- The History of Stretton
The Parish Council is grateful to Clare for allowing the use of information from the 'History of Stretton' in the preparation of this page
Stretton Airfield The Original Stretton Post Office